Saturday

Jack speak


April 6, 2011

In the chaos that ensued as I packed ready for this trip I seemingly forgot one essential piece of kit – the Royal Marine dictionary.
Spending time with 'royal' is an education in itself. How or why they mix up and rename words for their own pleasure I don’t know. In fact, I’m not sure anyone knows. Is it not enough already for the military to abbreviate absolutely everything?!
One wonders whether servicemen and women speak to their families like this: “I need an ETA on my dinner because my CO needs me to confirm the TOA ASAP. Gen.”
Um, huh?
I guess it goes along with the whole desire to be individual and different from civilians like me.
Over the past few years as defence reporter for The Herald in Plymouth I have been given countless master classes in marine talk. So here I am once again unable to decipher whether:
(A) A marine is taking the mickey out of me
(B) Whether someone is asking me whether I would like a drink or need the loo
(C) If I’m ready to eat or run off somewhere.
Seriously, if you’ve ever talked to a serviceman – notably a Royal Marine – you’ll know exactly what I mean.
So while they might have only just left the UK for this current deployment to Afghanistan, it’s worth swotting up and rehearsing now in preparation for their return.
Here are a few definitions for you to get you started:
“Thredders” – tired or irritated.
“Galley” – canteen / dining facility (even though it’s not on a ship).
“Goffer” – fizzy drink (can of pop) or very big wave that soaks you through.
“Recce” – reconnaissance (as in ‘troop’).
“Scran” – food.
“Horrorcrockadockapig” (or something that sounds like that…) – ugly woman.
“Duff” – pudding.
“Icers” – cold.
“Redders” – hot.
“Pit” – bed.
“Wet” – drink.
“Hoofin” – good or awesome.
“Gucci” – awesome or good.
“Zero Alpha” – wife.
“Chad” – bad. (or as one marine put it… “picture your dad in drag” or indeed “that bloke from Nikelback”.
“Heads” – toilet.
“Essence” – good looking.
“Gopping” – not good looking.
“Slug” – sleeping bag.
“Racing spoon” – spoon.
“Gen” – genuine or truth.

Twitter: @tristan_nichols



No comments:

Post a Comment